You can arrive in Rijeka from three main land directions as well as from the sea and from the air. We are well connected with the rest of the world through a number of airline companies. The extraordinary quality of the Croatian motorways will ensure a pleasant trip.
Rijeka Airport (RJK) is located on the island of Krk some 30 km away from the city. All the information about the flights can be found on the airport webpage and plane tickets can be purchased online on the web pages of airline companies or in a number of travel agencies.
Transfer between the city centre and the airport is organised by bus or by taxi. More information can be found on the Rijeka Airport Website.
There is a designated bus service from the airport into Rijeka in connection with flights. For the current timetable visit the airport website. The price is 50 HRK one way. When going from the city to the airport make sure you buy your ticket at the station (you can pay by credit card as well) as cash on board is not accepted.
There are regular bus services from Rijeka into Zagreb Airport for connections there. The Croatia Airlines website has more information.
Pula Airport (PUY) is the international airport serving Pula, Croatia, and is located 100 km from the city of Rijeka.
- A bus that goes to/from the airport (“Pula Zracna Luka”) and the Pula central bus terminal (“Bus Kolodvor”).
- A taxi can be taken to the outskirts of Pula (specifically, Verudela, where Hotel Palma and Histria are located).
Franjo Tuđman Airport (ZAG) is an international airport serving Zagreb, Croatia. It is the largest and busiest airport in Croatia.
- By Car: Read more
- By Airport Shuttle: The scheduled airport shuttle “Pleso prijevoz” is operating between the Airport and the Zagreb Central Bus Terminal: Zagreb Central Bus Timetable. This shuttle service is organized in such way that it follows the airport timetable. All additional information regarding the airport shuttle timetable, prices and tickets you can find on this website.
- By Taxi / Rent-a-car: The taxi stand for arriving passengers will be available at the Passenger Terminal, located in the vicinity of the Ground Floor, Arrivals level of the Terminal. Please follow signs for Taxi.
- By ZET Bus: Departures are scheduled every 35 minutes. First departure on weekdays and Saturdays from Kvaternik Square is at 04:20AM and on Sundays at 05:20AM, while the last departure from Velika Gorica is every day at 00:15AM. ZET Line 290 ZAGREB (Kvaternikov Trg) – FRANJO TUĐMAN AIRPORT – VELIKA GORICA Route, ZET Line 290 Timetable.
The bus station
The bus station is located in the city centre, on Žabica, at the foot of the imposing Capuchin church. All information about the time-table and ticket prices can be found on the Arriva web page, FlixBus web page or in the agency at the bus station. If you have time for sightseeing, you can leave your luggage in the left-luggage office located inside the station.
The cities to which Rijeka is connected with bus lines: Basel, Baška, Beograd, Berlin, Cres, Crikvenica, Dortmund, Dubrovnik, Frankfurt, Fužine, Hamburg, Karlovac, Krk, Labin, Ljubljana, Makarska, Mali Lošinj, Malinska, Mannheim, Munchen, Novalja, Novi Vinodolski, Novigrad, Opatija, Pag, Poreč, Postojnska jama, Pula, Rab, Rovinj, Sarajevo, Split, Stuttgart, Šibenik, Trieste, Umag, Zadar, Zagreb, Zurich.
The extraordinary quality of the Croatian motorways will ensure a pleasant trip. We advise you to check the Road Conditions Report before you begin your journey.
Get ready before your journey – check the Croatian Automobile Club web pages for road conditions, along with information on traffic at border crossings, ferry ports, traffic predictions and a variety of driving tips.
- Travellers heading from Zagreb (185 km) should take the A1 to Bosiljevo and then take the A6 to Rijeka. Portions of the A6 is a 4-6 lane motorway.
- Travellers from Trieste (76 km) should take A7 upon entering Croatia at Rupa border crossing.
- Travellers from Split (380 km) can take A1 to Žuta Lokva and then proceed via Senj and Crikvenica to Rijeka.
Distances between Rijeka and other Croatian cities
Osijek – 445 km
Dubrovnik – 622 km
Split – 380 km
Varaždin – 243 km
Zadar – 293 km
Zagreb – 162 km
Phone: +385 1 4693 700
The central railway station is located close to the city centre. The information about train schedules can be found on the Hrvatske željeznice (Croatian Railroads) web page or at the information point at the station. If you have time for sightseeing, you can leave your luggage in the left-luggage office located inside the station.
The cities to which Rijeka is connected by train: Zagreb, Osijek and Ljubljana directly, and with changeovers you can reach a large number of European destinations.
The boat harbour is located in the city centre. Information about the timetable as well as about prices and other information can be found on the Jadrolinija web page. It is also possible to purchase tickets online or in person at the Jadrolinija agency located on Rijeka’s waterfront.
The places to which Rijeka is connected with catamaran lines: Cres, Lošinj, Rab, Pag, Susak, Ilovik, Unije.
Travelling to the Faculty of Engineering
It will cost you cca EUR 3.0
Useful link: http://www.visitrijeka.eu
Rijeka’s public transportation includes the city (1st zone) and suburban (2nd, 3rd and 4th zone) bus lines. Public transport operates from 5 am to 11.30 pm, approximately every 15 minutes.
Bus tickets can be bought at kiosks and are valid for two fares. You validate the ticket by inserting it in the ticket machine when you get on the bus. A one-way ticket at a somewhat higher price can be bought from the bus driver on the bus. Daily tickets can also be bought at kiosks and weekly tickets can be bought exclusively at the selling points of Autotrolej.
Ticket prices (for two rides)
1st zone – HRK 15.50 (cca EUR 2.10)
2nd zone – HRK 21.00 (cca EUR 2.80)
3rd zone – HRK 26.00 (cca EUR 3.50)
4th zone – HRK 30.00 (cca EUR 4.10)
Daily ticket 1st zone – HRK 20.00 (cca EUR 2.70) / 1st -4th zone – HRK 32.00 (cca EUR 4.30)
Weekly ticket 1st zone – HRK 80.00 (cca EUR 10.80) / 1st -4th zone – HRK 160.00 (cca EUR 8.20)
The day and night timetables for the city and suburban bus lines can be found at the Autotrolej web page.